Thursday, January 27, 2011

Simple Whole Wheat Pancakes


Who doesn't love a pancake? I think that they are wonderful. You can put a variety of toppings on them (basically whatever floats your boat) and for me they always conjure up happy memories of breakfast with my family. I thought that I would share my favorite pancake recipe. This recipe tastes great and best of all it is nice and easy.
Some people (like my mother) fear making whole wheat pancakes because they think that they will turn out heavy. These are not heavy, but they are hearty. The key to helping them stay light, I think, is to use whole wheat PASTRY flour instead of ordinary whole wheat flour. I get mine in bulk from Winco. If you don't have said store in your town (most probably don't) you can check out your local grocery store or bulk store. Let's just say that you absolutely cannot find any whole wheat pastry flour, then substitute 1/2 c. of white flour for 1/2 c. of the whole wheat pastry flour.


NOTE: You can use all white flour if you don't care for whole wheat or don't have it on hand.

INGREDIENTS
1 egg
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. milk

1 tsp. baking soda
1 heaping tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour

DIRECTIONS
1. Put egg, sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl (use a stand mixer if you have it) and beat until well blended, slowly add oil while still mixing.
2. Stop mixing and add milk, followed by the baking soda, baking powder and finally the flour. Mix well! Don't leave it lumpy like some pancake batters. This one should be smooth.
3. Pour batter into a circular shape in a greased frying pan that has been heated to just below medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until you see bubbles start to form, flip and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute on the other side. Top with your favorite pancake topping. My favorite? Apricot jam.  

No comments:

Post a Comment