Saturday, January 29, 2011

Nutella Swirl Cookies


I think that my picture says it all. I heart Nutella. When I was a kid I didn't care for peanut butter. Looking back I blame Nutella.
If you are a fan as well, try these cookies. I have made other Nutella-based cookies in the past, that contained ingredients like chocolate chips or bananas, etc. Those were good, but the flavors became a bit muddled. If you are a purist and want to really taste the Nutella in the cookie, then these are for you.

INGREDIENTS

 1/2 c. butter or marjarine, at room temp.
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 cup Nutella, a little more won’t hurt, but take it easy or they'll get messy
2-3 tablespoon, toasted, chopped hazelnuts (optional)
 
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix the butter and sugar together until creamy.
  3. Mix in the egg yolk and the vanilla.
  4. Stir in the flour and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes so that it becomes firm and easier to roll out.
  5. On a flour dusted surface roll out the dough into a rectangle a ¼ inch thick.
  6. Spread the Nutella making sure to leave 1/2 inch of space on all four sides. This helps the Nutella not  to ooze out.
  7. Sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts and roll up the dough from the longest side of the rectangle (like cinnamon rolls).
  8. Refrigerate for another ten minutes before cutting the slices (about 1/2 inch thick). I used a piece of floss to get a cleaner result, but a knife will do.
  9. Lay the slices on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment