Friday, December 23, 2011

Ne Plus Ultra Cookies
















The name of this cookie means “nothing better”. When I found it on Martha Stewart’s website, I tried it out to see if it lived up to it’s lofty name. The verdict: I loved this cookie, with no changes, just as it is.
As a side story, my kids are raisin addicts so I tried to take the necessary precautions and hide the raisins needed to bake these. As all stories about hiding stuff from children go, I found a ripped open box, followed the sound of giggling and found them stuffing their faces with raisins. This particular time I lucked out because they had left just enough in the box for me to still bake the cookies. So they remained my silly, little darlings instead of.... well something else that may have come to mind if I had to make another trip to the grocery store.
Enjoy these for yourself or bake them as cookies for Santa to eat which is technically the same thing (you can't lose). Merry Christmas!

NE PLUS ULTRA COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
1/2 c. unsalted butter, (1 stick), softened
2/3 c. packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c. flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. raisins
1 c. pecans, coarsely chopped

 

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter and sugars with an electric mixer (use the paddle attachment). Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs, mix until well combined.
  2. Sift flour, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl, add to butter mixture on low speed until just combined. Don’t over mix. Mix in chocolate chips, raisins, and pecans.
  3. Roll dough into 2 1/2-inch balls, then flatten to 1-inch thick. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake cookies until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. (these are big cookies so they need to bake a while).


1 comment: