Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ginger Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust


I have gone through many pumpkin pie recipes in my day, never quite falling in love the way I would like to. I had a favorite filling and once I paired it with a graham cracker crust it was a match made in heaven. I honestly will never make another pumpkin pie recipe again.
This pie doesn't taste "conventional" so if that is what you are looking for this may not be for you. The fresh ginger gives the pie a kick and there is even a pinch of black pepper (don't be afraid to use it - it's just a pinch).  I would recommend using homemade pumpkin puree, it has a better taste in my opinion. I am not including directions for how to make your own puree but google it and you will find plenty of help.
If you are looking for a new and perhaps different pumpkin pie recipe for the upcoming holidays, I would definitely give this recipe a try. You won't regret it!

FRESH GINGER PUMPKIN PIE WITH GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST

EQUIPMENT

9" Deep Dish Pie Pan

INGREDIENTS

Crust:
2  c. graham cracker crumbs (blend in food processor until you have enough)
1/2  c. butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

Filling:
2 c. homemade pumpkin puree or 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 tbs. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 c. whole milk

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter or margarine and cinnamon.
3. Press into deep dish pie dish and bake for about 7 minutes.
4. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
5. Combine all ingredients for filling in large bowl until well combined.
6. Pour filling into pan over baked crust (don't overfill leave about an inch or less from the rim of the pan or it may spill over)
7.  Bake for about 50 minutes or until set. The filling will continue to firm up after it has been baked. 8. Let your pie cool then chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving (for best result).

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome Maria!! I will have to try it. I'm not a huge traditional pumpkin pie fan, and I love ginger, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete