Wednesday, January 5, 2011

S'mores Bars

I noticed that I had the magic combination of marshmallows, Hershey bars and graham crackers in my pantry. Just the thought of those items caused me to crave a S'more. Since I don't have a fire pit in my yard and I don't plan to go camping for a while I decided that I needed to find a way to make something that could be as close to a S'more as possible without using fire. The result...these yummy S'mores Bars, not the real thing but awesome none the less.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbs. canola oil 
1 c. flour (I used whole wheat, I am sure all purpose would work too.)
11 sheets of graham crackers (just the way they come in the package, before you break them)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 Hershey's Milk chocolate bars (1.55 oz. each)
1 bag mini marshmallows (10.5 oz.)

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In mixing bowl with either stand mixer or hand mixer beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Then add graham crackers one at a time letting the mixer break them into pieces before adding the next. They should break down into crumbs this way.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl and add to the graham cracker mixture until well combined.
4. Press 3/4 of the mixture into your greased pan, making sure that the bottom of the pan is covered.  Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Breaking chocolate bars to fit as you go, place on top of the graham layer until covered (the best that you can). Then sprinkle marshmallows on top and finish by sprinkling the remaining graham cracker mixture as crumbs for topping.
6. Bake 10-15 minutes or just until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack before serving to make it easier to cut into bars.

 These are best eaten at room temperature, if you store them in the fridge they may be hard to bite until they return to room temp. again.

4 comments:

  1. They are perfect for any S'mores fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or you could just roast a marshmallow over a candle...didn't I ever teach you that? These do look good! I would have to include some variety of Peanut butter...ohh they would be killer with reeses's cups! ok I'll stop now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, adrienne I think that reese's would be a great idea. I have roasted a marshmallow over a candle, and I do think it was with you. I'd forgotten all about that, next time I crave roasted marshmallows I'll have to use that trick.

    ReplyDelete