Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Milk Bar Blueberries and Cream Cookies

This is a Momofuku Milk Bar recipe (a bakery in New York City). I have wanted to try this recipe for months. I saw it on the blog momofukufor2 (she has made and blogged about every recipe in the Momofuku cookbook). Yesterday I finally got all of the ingredients I needed to give them a go.

The verdict...I am very impressed. I think the winning part of this recipe is all in the milk crumbs. It SEEMS complicated to make them when reading through the recipe, but really it's a cinch as long as you have all your ingredients ready to go.

I like that there is a recipe within the cookie recipe. It seems fancier when you eat the cookie and you know that there is that extra something special in there. This recipe calls for glucose. I don't know where you buy glucose but every version of this recipe I have seen has substituted light corn syrup which is what I did. You will also need nonfat dry milk and dried blueberries. I found both at my local grocery store.

I decided to give these out as Christmas cookies because I would eat every last one of them if I kept them in my house. 


MILK CRUMBS RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
1/4 c. plus 1 tbs. nonfat milk powder
2 tbs. all-purpose flour
1 tbs. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 c. white chocolate, melted

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons milk powder, flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until well combined. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until dried and crumbly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove milk crumble from oven and let cool completely.
3. Transfer milk crumble to a large bowl and fold in remaining 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons milk powder and white chocolate. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.

 

BLUEBERRIES AND CREAM COOKIES RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. plus 2 tbs. granulated sugar
1/2 c. plus 2 tbs. light-brown sugar
1/4 c. glucose (I used corn syrup and it worked great!)
1 large egg
3/4 c. dried blueberries
Milk Crumbs (use whole amount made by the above recipe)

DIRECTIONS
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream butter, sugars, and glucose until well combined. Add egg and mix.
3. Add flour mixture and mix then add blueberries and milk crumbs. Scoop dough into balls and place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
4. Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake, rotating pans halfway through baking, until cookies are golden brown and tops begin to crackle, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

NOTE
I ONLY BAKED MY COOKIES FOR 10-12 MINUTES AND I THOUGHT THEY WERE PERFECT. MAYBE I MADE THEM SMALLER? I WOULD KEEP AN EYE ON THEM THOUGH AND NOT SET THE TIMER AND WALK AWAY

1 comment: