Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Eggplant Parm Patties


I was raised on eggplant - which is probably why I get the itch to make it every once in a while. This time around, I wanted to try something different so I created a new way of making eggplant parmesan so that my kids would eat it more readily.  I told my daughter that they were purple eggplant burgers without the bun and she gobbled it up. Her favorite color is purple, so that's why I threw the purple part in. We ate this with purple grapes and carrots for dinner and it was a hit.
You can make these with or without the eggplant skin, depending on how bitter of a taste you are comfortable with. I usually peel the skin off with a vegetable peeler, but if I were making it just for myself I'd leave the skin on (you can really taste the eggplant that way).

makes 8 patties

INGREDIENTS
1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices (with or without skin)
2 tbs. olive oil, plus enough to shallow fry the patties
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
4 tbs. chopped fresh parsley (or basil)
2 1/2 c. fresh wheat bread crumbs
1 c. grated parmesan
1 c. ricotta cheese
2-3 tbs. milk
1-2 c. your favorite tomato sauce to put on top of finished patty

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the eggplant with the 2 tbs. olive oil, then place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until golden and tender.
2. Chop the slices into smaller pieces and place them in a bowl. Add the egg, garlic, parsley, parmesan and ricotta. If the mixture looks dry add the milk 1 tbs at a time until it is moist and moldable.
3. Divide the mixture into eight balls and flatten them slightly.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Leave the mixture to rest for about 20 minutes.
4. Shallow fry the patties in olive oil, on low to medium heat so that the oil doesn't smoke. Cook in batches for 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve with a dallop of tomato sauce on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment