Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dutch Baby

This is not a recipe that explains how to make a baby in the Netherlands. So don't be afraid. This is a delicious breakfast food that has been made popular by those eating them in the fair city of Seattle. I am not sure how the Dutch Baby got it's name but I do know that it is similar to other oven pancakes....like German Pancakes or Puffed Oven Pancakes.
I was first introduced to oven pancakes by my husband. They were popular in his house growing up (they called them puffed oven pancakes). He really loves them and if I ever need to butter him up before asking a favor they are my go-to breakfast. I personally always thought they were a bit ho hum. But I had a change of heart when I came across Alton Brown's recipe for a Dutch Baby. It is a force to be reckoned with in the breakfast scene.
As a side note, you may as well know that I am a big fan of Food Network's Alton Brown. My husband teases me because when I talk about his recipes I call him Alton. My reason: I have made enough of his recipes to be on a first name basis. I can always tell that he has experimented with his recipes until they turned out just right. His Dutch Baby is sprinkled with sugar and served with lemon wedges. I think the lemon wedges and sugar combo are what make the dish work. So don't forget to use BOTH the lemon wedges AND sugar or you may as well not eat the Dutch Baby at all!

NOTE:
Alton's recipe uses vanilla sugar which he makes by storing a vanilla bean with sugar to flavor it. This is a cool idea and adds to the flavor. It also tastes good in other baking. I have made the recipe without the vanilla sugar and just used regular white sugar and it is still very good. Don't add vanilla extract to your sugar as a substitution, I tried this and it threw everything out of whack texturally.
Also be sure to let your eggs and milk get to room temperature like the recipe suggests, it does make for a better baby.

I am posting the Food Network recipe but not verbatim. If you want to read Alton Brown's recipe as posted on The Food Network website click here.


EQUIPMENT:
10" Cast Iron Skillet or some other oven proof pan that is similar in size and shape.

INGREDIENTS:
 3 tbs. butter melted, divided (I melt 2 tbs. in one container and 1 tbs. in another)
1/2 c. all purpose flour
3 tbs. vanilla sugar, plus extra for serving (see note above)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. whole milk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
Lemon wedges (from 1-2 lemons)


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Set the remaining tablespoon of melted butter aside to cool slightly.
Place the flour, vanilla sugar, salt, milk, eggs and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds. Carefully pour the batter into the preheated skillet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are puffed and brown. Sprinkle with additional vanilla sugar and serve with lemon wedges.

VARIATION:
In our house we like to change out the vanilla sugar for powdered sugar (as shown in my photo) and it has become our favorite way to eat it. It makes a sugar lemon glaze and it is so good!

4 comments:

  1. I love food blogs! How fun. (have you ever taken a look at mine) My sister works for Alison's Pantry and they sell a powdered sweet vanilla flavoring. I wonder if that would work for this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne. I didn't know that you had a food blog, but I will be your newest reader. oh and the powdered sweet vanilla flavoring sounds yummy and would probably go perfectly with this. If you try it let me know and I will have to get some from Alison's pantry myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. trying it right now. wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, I hope it turned out well for you!

    ReplyDelete