Friday, December 3, 2010

Deep Dark Brownie Cookies

ANOTHER COOKIE? I know, but I can explain. I needed to bake a thank you gift for a friend who lent me something. I took a while to return it and was feeling a little guilty so what says thanks for lending me your carpet shampooer better than something chocolate? I seriously can't think of anything.
These are a good fix for a chocolate craving, just one'll do ya. They are small, rich and powerful cookies and I prescribe a glass of milk on the side. 
I invented them while messing up a meringue cookie recipe and then doctoring it. I noticed that they turned out tasting like a brownie and each is like eating a corner piece from the pan. Hope you enjoy!
P.S. the next recipe won't be a cookie. But I will do more Christmas cookie ideas before the month is out. AND if anybody is worried about my health because of my cookie baking habit, I will have you know that I am a share the wealth kind of baker and always find people to give them to.

INGREDIENTS:
nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips)
3 large egg whites
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
 3 tbs. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets with PLENTY of nonstick spray (or they will stick).
2.  Whisk together 1/2 of sugar (1/2 cup), cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Put one cup of the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir, then set aside to cool slightly.
4. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. A tip: make sure the egg whites are cold. A cold mixing bowl also can help. Be sure not to get ANY of the yolk into the bowl with the whites or they may not form.
5. Put the mixer at a low speed and gradually beat in 1/2 of the sugar (1/2 cup). Continue beating for about 30 seconds, it should look fluffy and shiny. Turn off mixer.
6.  On a low speed beat dry ingredients into the egg white meringue mixture. Then stir in the lukewarm melted chocolate (to put it in if it is still hot or the eggs will cook). Last, add the rest of the chocolate chips (1/2 cup) and the walnuts. Mix slowly until all parts seem blended. Your dough will be sticky and thick.
7. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon of dough at a time into a ball and place on the well greased baking sheet. Space them about 2" apart because they will spread a fair amount. Bake about 10 minutes, the tops will crack.
8. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack so that the bottoms don't overcook. They will be too soft to remove from the sheet until they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment