Thursday, July 28, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Rhubarb. It's tart, it's crisp, it looks like red celery and is very easy to grow. Because it is so sour tasting on it's own you will definitely need to pair it with a sweeter fruit to balance things out a bit. Rhubarb and strawberry are a match made in heaven.
I usually make strawberry rhubarb pie once rhubarb is in season but I also love this strawberry rhubarb crisp. I don't have much room to grow my own so I watch for it at the grocery store. I use the same ingredients as I do for my pie filling and add an oatmeal topping. 
This makes a great dessert or a filling breakfast. And here's a tip: Since rhubarb is only found in stores in early summer, you can freeze it to use throughout the year. It freezes extremely well. I chop mine up so that it is ready to add to whatever and stick it in a freezer bag (make sure you push out all of the air). You can also find it already frozen at some grocery stores.
 
STAWBERRY RHUBARB CRISP

FILLING:
3 c. chopped, red rhubarb (into smaller pieces)
3 c. de-stemmed, washed and cut stawberries (in larger pieces)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbs. all purpose flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract

TOPPING:
1 1/4 c. regular rolled oats
1 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. whole wheat or all purpose flour
1 tsp. nutmeg
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup butter
1/4 c. canola oil

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place chopped rhubarb and strawberry in a large bowl. Add all other FILlING ingredients and mix well. 3. In another large bowl make topping by first adding oats, brown sugar, flour and spices. Then cut in butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Last add the canola oil and mix in using hands until all crumbs are coated.
4. Place filling in a 9"x13" pan. Cover with topping. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until topping is golden.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious. I didn't know you could freeze it - I'll have to do that because i wait all year long for rhubarb pie in the summer...I've already made 4 so far!

    ReplyDelete