Monday, February 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Crepes


Truth be told I can't resist a crepe. This is an extremely easy recipe that I adapted from my hero, Alton Brown's version. I decided to ease my conscience by using whole wheat flour, I also usually use skim milk. After all of my interference, these turned out great so they have become my go-to crepe recipe.
Put whatever you like in them. They can be sweet or savory and the possibilities are almost endless. The crepe in my photo has just plain old blueberries inside and is sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
I plan on posting some more ideas in the form of recipes. My favorite contains spinach, mushrooms, thyme, and goat cheese sprinkled with balsamic vinegar. 

INGREDIENTS


2 large eggs
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1 c. whole wheat flour (preferably pastry)
3 tbs. melted butter or margarine
butter or margarine for the pan


DIRECTIONS

1. Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor, pulse for 30 seconds. Place the batter in the refrigerator for about an hour, this will help the bubbles formed while blending to disappear and make your crepe less likely to tear in the pan (an great tip from Alton Brown).
2. Heat a 8"non stick pan to just below medium heat. Add butter or margarine to coat the pan. Scoop up some batter with a 1/3 cup measuring cup until it is halfway full. Pour it into the pan and swirl the pan around until the batter covers the base of the pan.
3. Let the batter cook for 30 seconds, flip gently then cook for 10 seconds on the other side. Continue with remaining batter. Serve with whatever you would like (sweet or savory).


No comments:

Post a Comment